Advertise on ILW
Connect to us
Make us Homepage
Chinese Immig. Daily
The leadingimmigration lawpublisher - over50000 pages offree
Copyright© 1995-ILW.COM,AmericanImmigration LLC.
by Chris Musillo
MU's Chris Musillo is one of the three presenting faculty members for the American Immigration Lawyers Association's November 4, 2010 teleconference on Allied Health Care Immigration. The speakers' topics of discussion include: trends with licensing examinations, visa screening and state licensing for foreign allied health care professionals. Additionally they will address pitfalls and identify effective practices in these areas:
Occupations and Professions Covered: RNs, OTs, PTsNonimmigrant Visa Options: TN, H-1B, E-3Immigrant Visa Options: Schedule A, NIW, PERMIssues with Visa Screen, Licensing and Timing for FilingsOptions in the Absence of Visa ScreenCurrent Adjudication TrendsPotential Legislative Changes and StrategiesInterested AILA lawyers can participate by contacting AILA. CLE credit is available.
Read the full Healthcare and Immigration Law Blog at www.musillo.com or www.ilw.com.
Wow, what a surprise. Another person favoring throwing the book at employers who violate immigration laws accused of ignoring those laws himself. Let's see what Congressman Roy Blount has to present to show why the allegation is false.
Asylum tends to be one of the less controversial areas of immigration law, and rarely attracts the kind of anger associated with the broader immigration debate. However, a 20-year old asylum case has become an issue in the Missouri Senate race.
The Kansas City Star reports that Democrats have accused the Republican candidate, Roy Blunt, of "hypocricy" because he employed and tried to assist an "illegal worker" named Dora Narvaez, a Nicaraguan asylum seeker. Apparently, Mr. Blunt employed Ms. Narvaez as a housekeeper for six months in 1990 and then contacted the head of INS to help her with her asylum case. At the time, Mr. Blunt was Missouri's Secretary of State. Mr. Blunt's campaign denies the allegations, and states that he forwarded Ms. Narvaez's request for assistance, just as he did for anyone else from Missouri.
It's unclear to me how the Democrats have determined that Ms. Narvaez was an "illegal worker." Aliens who filed for asylum prior to 1996 received a work permit quickly and were permitted to remain in the U.S. until their cases were adjudicated. Thus, if Ms. Narvaez was indeed an asylum seeker, she was most likely legally eligible to work and live in the United States, and so Mr. Blunt could have lawfully employed her. Whether or not he used his influence and connections to assist her remains an open question, but based on the evidence available, the Democrat's charge that Ms. Narvaez was an "illegal worker" seems unfounded.
Not that the Republicans are much better on this issue. Mr. Blunt currently represents Southwest Missouri in the House of Representatives. According to his Congressional website, he has opposed "amnesty" and supported an enforcement-only approach to the immigration problem. Thus, it seems that neither candidate is much of a friend to immigrants.
Mr. Blunt currently leads his opponent, Democrat Robin Carnahan, in the polls.
-----------------IMMIGRATION DAILY FROM ILW.COM------------------
October 20, 2010
1. Comment: Search Us - Are you looking for specific information,like an article, a memo, or a regulatory provision? Thefamiliar power of Google search is at your fingertips whenyou search ILW.COM. The Google Custom Search box appears at thebottom of every page and at the top of the blue left menu strip.Give our new search a try, and see for yourself.
2. Article: NPTE-i Registration and Filing Fee by Christopher T.Musillohttp://www.ilw.com/articles/2010,1020-musillo.shtm
3. Article: The Fight Back Book: Introduction Part A, B by RamiFakhouryhttp://www.ilw.com/articles/2010,1020-fakhoury.shtm
4. Article: Georgia GOP Candidate: Border Patrol Agents ShouldShoot Illegal Border Crossers by Greg Siskindhttp://www.ilw.com/articles/2010,1020-siskind.shtm
5. Article: Remembering Louis Henkin - Architect of the 1951Refugee Convention by Jason Dzubowhttp://www.ilw.com/articles/2010,1020-dzubow.shtm
6. News: Morton Memo On Civil Immigration Enforcement: Prioritiesfor the Apprehension, Detention, and Removal of Alienshttp://www.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/news/2010,1020-memo.pdf
7. News: CRS Report On Unauthorized Alien Students, HigherEducation, and In-State Tuition Rates: A Legal Analysis:http://www.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/news/2010,1020-crs.pdf
8. Focus: The Best Indexed ACT, CFRsILW.COM is pleased to offer the latest, completely revisededitions of Patel's Immigration Law Library. This collectionincludes the essential reference resource The WHOLE Act, The INA(Annotated),http://www.ilw.com/books/thewholeact-ina.shtmused by DHS officials, federal court libraries, and veteranimmigration practitioners. Once you have used this version of theINA, you will wonder why you ever used any other! This collectionalso features the fully indexed 8 CFRhttp://www.ilw.com/books/8cfrplus.shtmand fully indexed 20/22/28 CFR.http://www.ilw.com/books/20-22-28cfrplus.shtmWhile supplies last, the best quality immigration law referencebooks are now available at the cheapest price on the market -$189 for all three books (shipping and handling included!).http://www.ilw.com/books/thewholeact-ina.shtm#buynow
9. Headline: Tax Compliance for Immigrants and Employers: TheLawyer's Complete Guide. Don't wait! Get your copy todayhttp://ow.ly/2Mq1S10. Headline: GOP candidate: undocumented border crossers shud bshot HT GregSiskind http://ow.ly/2WyoN GOP shud deport this anti-USA candidate11. Headline: Latinos Look to Gain Electoral Influence,Immigration Number One Political Issue http://ow.ly/2WxR012. Headline: RT @NorthernAgNET 14th Amendment's "Misapplication"Targeted: Group of Montana Republicans wade into immigrationdebate http://bit.ly/c7QxfF13. Headline: Florida Immigration Bill Allows Police to Skip OverCanadians, Europeans http://ow.ly/2WxCj14. Headline: More Immigration Chronicles From The Campaign Trailhttp://ow.ly/2Wxx715. Headline: Redefining Birthright Citizenship: GOP State RepsSeek to Deny Citizenship to Children of Illegal Immigrantshttp://ow.ly/2Wxui16. Headline: Protesters band together to support new immigrationlegislation http://ow.ly/2WxpG17. Headline: Forced Into Immigration Enforcement, A CountyConsiders Plan B http://ow.ly/2Wxl418. Headline: Removal Book: Learn abt removal proceedings, relieffrom removal, appeals & much more. For table of contents & getcopy http://ow.ly/2MpGj19. Headline: Grassley Reveals Evidence of Improper Influenceover Visa Policy http://ow.ly/2W3Jp20. Headline: Immigrant Advocates Issue Report Card on ICE ReformEfforts http://ow.ly/2W0yc21. Headline: Anti-Reid group to Hispanic voters: 'Don't Vote'http://ow.ly/2VUiu
To submit an Article or a news item to Immigration Daily, writeto mailto:email@example.com. Follow ILW.COM on Twitter:http://www.twitter.com/ilwcom_________________________________________________________________CLASSIFIEDS
1. Help Wanted: Immigration ParalegalNew York, NY - Midtown Manhattan immigration law firm seeksbilingual paralegal (Spanish/English) on a part-time basis (3days a week), with future potential for full-time, to preparefull-range of business/family immigration applications. Must haveBA degree, excellent writing, verbal, case management & clientrelationship skills. Experience preferred. Competitivecompensation package.* Email resume and cover letter to Marcia N.Needleman at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Help Wanted: Immigration ParalegalBoston, MA - Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C.http://www.mintz.comseeks immigration legal assistant who will report to immigrationsection manager and supports immigration attorneys.Prepare H-1B, L-1, O-1, TN, and E-1/E-2 visas and PERMapplication; file business and employment-related immigrationdocumentation under supervision of attorneys; extensivecommunication with clients and government agencies; assist onspecial projects as assigned. Bachelor's degree and minimum of 4to 8 years business immigration experience required; excellentcustomer service skills; strong communication skills; must beorganized, detail oriented, responsive and have excellent followthrough skills; multi-task and work independently; strong senseof accountability and ownership of projects; ability toprioritize workload effectively; flexibility to work overtimewhen necessary. Please send resume to mailto:email@example.com.
3. Help Wanted: Immigration AttorneySan Francisco, CA - Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLPhttp://www.morganlewis.com/seeks a highly motivated contract/temporary attorney for a severalmonth assignment in our Immigration Group. The candidate musthave experience managing high volume business immigration work aswell as expertise in dealing with various government agencies andconsular posts to resolve complex immigration issues. Thecandidate must have 3-4 years of immigration experience workingin a law firm environment. The candidate must possess excellentwriting and research abilities. They must also be able tocommunicate with various personalities at all levels ofmanagement and staff, and must be able to deal with stressassociated with a fast paced work environment, including handlingmultiple tasks on a daily basis. The ability to make judgmentdecisions and handle daily, routine responsibilities areessential. The candidate must also be able to adapt to changingwork situations and grasp and apply new ideas. The candidateshould possess strong academic credentials from a nationallyrecognized law school. California bar membership is required. Wevalue collegiality and diversity among our lawyers and seek tomake the practice both professionally and personally rewarding.Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP offers a challenging work environmentand business casual dress code. Please apply online here.http://sh.webhire.com/servlet/av/jd?ai=689&ji=2491066&sn=I
4. Website ServicesGain the competitive edge with your new website from INSZoom, theworld's largest immigration software company. Choose from over100 customizable website template designs, complete withcustomized logos and images, 60-70 pages of professionallywritten immigration law content including news articles,processing dates, and priority times posted directly on yoursite. Our search engine optimization tools will increase your webtraffic and prioritize your site in the major search engines. Ourcontent management tool lets you update your site in real time.Customizable intake sheet that can be integrated to your casemanagement software directly into your website. Bi monthlynewsletters and email blast tools enable you to stay in constanttouch with current clients and strengthen your potential clientbase. Build leads and maintain a professional presence at areasonable cost with websites from INSZoom. Learn more online atwww.inszoom.com/websiteshttp://www.inszoom.com/websitesor contact a sales representative at (925) 244-0600 to start theprocess of launching your new website today.
5. Case Management TechnologyWhich company do Fortune 500 Companies, top immigration firms,non-profits, one of the world's largest retailers and 2.4million+ foreign nationals choose for their comprehensiveimmigration management needs?* They choose EDGE, by LawLogix.LawLogix boasts unparalleled immigration experienced customersupport to ensure we not only answer your call, but we answeryour question! Offering a full range of options fortransferring your current client files, LawLogix enables yourfirm to easily adopt EDGE with no downtime. LawLogix EDGE isthe #1 integrated immigration forms, billing and casemanagement system with online access for clients.* EDGEprovides around the clock access for your clients to check thestatus of their case, fill out intake questionnaires, reviewand print forms, and communicate with you securely.* The onlineclient access reduces the number of case status inquiry calls,and allows you and your staff to work more effectively. EDGEprovides exceptional reporting capabilities.* Quickly andeasily configure any reminder, case status, consultations,milestone report with 1 click while making your job easier andmore enjoyable. Visit us at http://www.lawlogix.comemail mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org, or call today 877-725-4355 ext.2 to request your Private VIP demo.
To place a classifieds ad in Immigration Daily, see herehttp://www.ilw.com/corporate/advertise_on_ilw.shtm_________________________________________________________________ReadersWrite
1. ReadersWrite: Yesterday's Discussionhttp://blogs.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/2010/10/19_congressional_immigration_report_card.html#comments
2. ReadersWrite: Today's Discussionhttp://blogs.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/2010/10/20_search_us.html#comments
To submit an Article for consideration, write tomailto:email@example.com_________________________________________________________________ComingsNGoings
ComingsNGoings: Immigration Event October 21, Washington, DC -The Center For American Progress Action Fund is proud to present"Courting the Latino Vote: Facing the Demographic Realities of a21st Century America." Speakers include Vanessa Cárdenas, JohnPodesta, Paul Begala, César Martínez, Janet Murguía, Ana Navarroand Angela Kelley. For more info, seehttp://www.americanprogressaction.org/events/2010/10/latinovote.html/rsvp.
Readers can share professional announcements (up to 100-words atno charge), email: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org._________________________________________________________________The first daily in the field of immigration. Forward this to acolleague!
Publisher: Sam Udani** Legal Editor: Michele Kim** ISSN:1930-062X
An Important disclaimer! The information provided on this page isnot legal advice. Transmission of this information is notintended to create, and receipt by you does not constitute, anattorney-client relationship. Readers must not act upon anyinformation without first seeking advice from a qualifiedattorney. Copyright 1999-2010 American Immigration LLC, ILW.COM.Send correspondence and articles to email@example.com. Letters andarticles may be edited and may be published and otherwise used inany medium. The views expressed in letters and articles do notnecessarily represent the views of ILW.COM._________________________________________________________________ILW.COM - the leading immigration law publisherILW.COM, PO Box 1830, New York, NY 10156Over 50,000 pages of free information!http://www.ilw.com/
Immigration Daily - http://www.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/Archives - http://www.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/archives.shtmClassifieds -http://www.ilw.com/corporate/advertise_on_ilw.shtmRSS feed - http://www.ilw.com/rss.aspProcessing times - http://www.ilw.com/govttimes/index.aspImmigration forms - http://www.ilw.com/forms/Discussion board - http://www.ilw.com/discussion/Find a lawyer - http://www.ilw.com/findlawyer/Seminars - http://www.ilw.com/seminars/Immigration Books - http://www.ilw.com/store/Advertise -http://www.ilw.com/corporate/advertise.shtmResources - http://www.ilw.com/resources/ Blogs - http://blogs.ilw.com/About ILW.COM - http://www.ilw.com/corporate/about_us.shtmLink to us - http://www.ilw.com/corporate/linktous.shtmSearch - http://www.ilw.com/search/advanced.asp