ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

View RSS Feed

Carl Shusterman's Immigration Update

9th Circuit CSPA Victory: Don't File Yet!

Rate this Entry
Over four years after our law firm sued the USCIS and the State Department in DeOsorio v. Mayorkas to preserve the "automatic conversion" clause in the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), on September 26, 2012, an en banc (11 judges) panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, ruled in our favor.

The Court held that CSPA protects the rights of children who age-out during the process of waiting for their priority dates to become current before their parents immigrate under the family-based 3rd (sponsorship by a U.S. citizen parent) and 4th (sponsorship by a U.S. citizen sibling) preference category. The Court held that CSPA clearly allows aged-out sons and daughters to keep the priority date of the 3rd or 4th preference petition, and to immigrate under the family-based 2B (unmarried adult son or daughter of a permanent resident parent) category.

Since this victory, our office has been deluged with questions and requests from immigrants, their children and their attorneys. "Dear Mr. Shusterman, I live in the 9th Circuit, can you handle my case? I am attaching an article by attorney so-and-so that says that I should apply immediately."

The truth is that it would be reckless for most persons who benefit from the Court's decision to apply immediately. Why? Because the government has 90 days (until the day after Christmas) to ask request that the Supreme Court of the United States to review the decision in DeOsorio.

Let's take the worse case scenario: You apply for adjustment of status now. In December, the government asks the Supreme Court to review the decision of the lower Court. Then, sometime in 2013, the Supreme Court accepts the case, and then (Let's hope not!) reverses the 9th Circuit. Should this occur, the USCIS will deny your application and you may find yourself under deportation proceedings.

Meanwhile, you have paid several thousand dollars in attorney and government filing fees. Is it worth it? I think not.

I recommend that you hold off applying for CSPA benefits at least until the day after Christmas. If the government does not request Supreme Court review, then we can all pop open the champagne, and I will be pleased to prepare your application for adjustment of status.

What if you are legally present in the U.S. or are residing abroad?

You will not be risking deportation if your application is ultimately denied, but you will be wasting a lot of money. Again, my advice is to wait and see what the government does. The administration is supposedly pro-immigrant, so I would hope that they would simply abide by the present decision which keeps nuclear families united.

Back in 2006 when our law firm won a case in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal, Schneider v. Chertoff, which benefits foreign-born physicians who seek green cards through national interest waivers, the government simply implemented the decision without going to the Supreme Court. Let's hope that the Obama Administration will do the same in DeOsorio.

Is there anyone who should seek to benefit from the DeOsorio decision immediately? I can think of one class of persons who should: Those who are already in deportation proceedings, and who have nothing to lose.

In the meantime, I will do my best to keep you informed about when it is safe for you to apply for benefits under CSPA, and who benefits from our victory in DeOsorio.

Subscribe to our free, monthly e-mail newsletter, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube.

Submit "9th Circuit CSPA Victory: Don't File Yet!" to Facebook Submit "9th Circuit CSPA Victory: Don't File Yet!" to Twitter Submit "9th Circuit CSPA Victory: Don't File Yet!" to Google Submit "9th Circuit CSPA Victory: Don't File Yet!" to StumbleUpon Submit "9th Circuit CSPA Victory: Don't File Yet!" to Reddit Submit "9th Circuit CSPA Victory: Don't File Yet!" to Digg Submit "9th Circuit CSPA Victory: Don't File Yet!" to

Updated 12-02-2013 at 01:12 PM by CShusterman


  1. SA's Avatar
    Thank you for the great information and advice.
  2. Carmichael Ines's Avatar
    We hope that the US government will allow us age out sons and daughters to immigrate to US. TY for the Info
  3. PW's Avatar
    If there is no appeal to the US Supreme Court, do you think this case law be applied consistently throughout the country or only in the 9th Circuit? I'm in PA so 3rd Circuit.
  4.'s Avatar
    Oh my god this is a great news. I have a question, I'm a resident of CA and my son was aged out when our F-4 which PD is on 2000 became available on 2010. I filled a new petition for him on 2011 he is now on F-2B waiting abroad the US. He still single. What should I do for him? Where to apply and what to apply? Apply before December 26 2012 or after?

    Best regards.

  5. E.F.'s Avatar
    is this desicion covers illinois state?
  6. M. M's Avatar
    I heard that the government appealed to supreme court, any news on if supreme court accepted the case or not? Is there any source I can track the issue?
  7. Supreme Snapback's Avatar
    I would hope that they would simply abide by the present decision which keeps nuclear families united.
  8. Kp's Avatar
    Do you know if the appeal has been filed by government in this case?
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: