Report: Border Patrol Abuse is Widespread
CNN reports that the humanitarian organization "No More Deaths" has assembled 13,000 testimonials detailing widespread abuse of immigrants by the Border Patrol. The organization has released a report entitled "A Culture of Cruelty" that details "rampant U.S. Border Patrol abuse of immigration detainees, deportees and migrants apprehended on the U.S.-Mexico Border." The abuse includes the denial of food and water, extreme heat or cold exposure, sleep deprivation, death threats, and psychological abuse such as blaring music with lyrics about individuals dying in the desert.
The findings include:
- 10% of people interviewed after being held in Border Patrol custody reported being physically abused - including teens and children. Forms if physical abuse reported by interviewees included being punched, kicked, bitten by Border Patrol dogs, pushed down hills or into cacti, and being shoved forcefully against walls or vehicles.
- Out of 433 incidents in which emergency medical treatment or medication were needed, only 59 (14%) received it before being deported - the other 86% were deported without receiving needed medical care. The concerns seen repeatedly include: untreated open wounds and severe heat illness, confiscation or denial of needed medications.
Click here to sign the petition to end Border Patrol abuse.