ABA Report: Obama Admin's Family Detention Violates Human Rights
The American Bar Association has released a report entitled “Family Immigration Detention: Why the Past Cannot Be Prologue” that concludes that the Obama administration's use of family deportation internment camps "violates applicable laws and human rights norms."
The report includes the following recommendations:
- releasing families held in detention facilities;
- adopting a policy of dealing with families seeking asylum within the community instead of through detention;
- employing the least restrictive means of ensuring appearance at hearings and protection of the community;
- developing standards for families and children that do not follow a penal model; and
- ensuring access to legal information and representation for all families subjected to detention at every stage of their immigration proceedings
Click here to read the report.